Ski Trip 2019 to Jay Peak, Vermont & New York

Educational Visit Sport

Year 9 students visited Jay Peak over the Easter holidays

The day had finally arrived, April 6 2019. We met around 9am in school, loaded our luggage on to the coach and said our goodbyes to friends and family. We were off; 10 days of fun, skiing and making memories.

Our coach ride to Heathrow was quick. Once there, we had breakfast and waited for our gate time to be announced. Typically, several of us were randomly selected for additional customs inspections before leaving the UK. Mr Nevard came with us and at first we were frustrated. However, we soon realised we were going to be first on the plane.

Upon arrival at JFK, we found our coach and began the small journey to our Fishkill hotel and more importantly, the pizza party. Over 30 pizzas were bought out and with our bellies full, we went to bed. The next day we woke with excitement as a shopping spree awaited. A 90 minute drive to the Woodbury Common was followed by 4 hours of shopping, taking advantage of the excellent prices and large variety of shops on offer.

With the shopping complete, a 6 hour coach ride up to Jay Peak, Vermont followed. Spirits were high and raised further by a half way stop off at McDonalds. We arrived late in the evening, and once shown to our rooms, headed to bed, ready to begin our ski adventure the next day.

An early start enabled us to complete our ski and boot fit, before separating in to our ski groups and meeting our instructors for the first time. Despite the weather not being the best on the first day, we were excited to get going, and many of us made it up the blue slopes by lunch time.

After an intense first morning we got to sample the large variety of food on offer on the resort, but for some reason, many of us went for pizza again.

That evening we had access to the indoor water park. They had large slides, a wave rider, lazy river, indoor and outdoor hot tubs and a climbing wall. We had great fun and despite how scary the red slide was, most of us managed to brave it.

The next day we weren’t sure if we were more excited to ski again, or that we were going to karaoke that evening! A cold day of skiing followed by a refuelling dinner, led to a relaxing trip to the cinema (to watch Aquaman). We shuttle bussed back to the hotel and prepped for vocal master class that was about to happen. Lots of group performances from us and other schools, were of varying quality and might have given the WHS Music department nightmares, but there were some notable solo and duet performances that showed what talent the school really does have.

The following days, the weather improved and we were able to access the top lifts and all slopes. We even took on some of the jumps in the adventure park. Two more nights of activities were provided; the water park again and the indoor clip & climb centre with arcade. We were exhausted but found energy from all the calories we took in to keep going.

On the fifth day, we said our farewells to our instructors, presenting them with gifts and thanking them for their patience. We jumped on the coach and made our way down to Newark, our next destination for the two days.

The Saturday began with a walking tour of New York. 27,000 steps of site seeing, fun and memorable moments were made even more exciting by the surprise announcement that weren’t just going to be walking passed the Empire State Building, but that we were in fact, going up it! Along our journey we saw some famous sites such as; Grand Central Station, Macys, Central Park, Maddison Square Garden, Time Square and the Rockefeller.

Once we had walked the distance of a half marathon, it was time to eat. Where better to do this, than Ellen’s Stardust Diner, just off Broadway. You can imagine how excite we were to see the performances that followed. With the evening drawing to a close, the teachers had one last surprise in store for us. They brought us ‘I Love New York’ t-shirts.

With us all feeling ready for bed, we headed back to our hotel on the Subway and packed our bags for one last time, ready for the final day of shopping and our flight home.

Gifts for families were purchased and a few treats for ourselves, before making our way to JFK, and back to the UK. Many of us were beginning to feel tired and the overnight flight suited us well to catch up on some much needed sleep.

We had a great time on the trip and all of us just want to thank the school and staff who made it possible. We have truly made friends and memories to last a life time.

Fleur Padrette, Year 9

You may also be interested in...